Teen Yoga Teacher Training Intensive
Teenagers today are more stressed than ever and sharing the practice of yoga can transform them and positively influence the rest of their lives. These are the years that they begin to explore who they are and dive into the deeper dimensions of the yoga practice.
This course will teach you how to guide students in a journey of self-exploration, giving students effective yogic tools to handle stress, anger, anxiety, depression, and other challenges facing teens. You'll learn how to help students develop compassion and self-confidence, so that ultimately they will be empowered to be agents of peace in the world.
You will learn:
- The benefits of yoga for Teens
- Teen appropriate yoga poses, class themes, relaxation exercises, visualization and meditation techniques, including laughter meditation
- Games and activities that address teen issues such as self-esteem, body image, nutrition, stress, anger, forgiveness, relationships, addiction, and sexual health
- Creative ways to build confidence, trust, teamwork, focus, concentration, and a sense of peace from within
- Working with at-risk populations
- Helping teens overcome self-destructive behaviors and attitudes, replacing negative habits with healthy habits
- Helping teens identify negative thought patterns and replace negative self-talk with positive affirmations
- How to make yoga philosophy accessible to teens; including principles of yoga (Yamas, Niyamas, non-violence and karma yoga)
- The male/female dynamic in the yoga classroom and how to avoid pitfalls
- Breathing techniques to calm, energize, and balance the nervous system
- Yoga practice for insomnia
- Developing a yoga class that is fun, safe, effective and engaging
- Identifying teaching objectives
- Learning how to connect with teens and how to hold the space in the classroom
- Establishing the balance of discipline and order in the classroom with spontaneity and play
- Incorporating props, music, art, and poetry into teen classes
- Teaching with confidence and creativity, patience and acceptance, with an open-heart and an open mind
- Establishing appropriate teacher boundaries
- How to inspire teens to create goals and develop the courage and perseverance to follow their dreams
Learn to engage and inspire this amazing age group!
Fee: $595, includes comprehensive course manual, KKY's Teen Yoga Meditations CD of guided meditations, certificate of course completion, a listing on the Karma Kids Yoga website, and an opportunity to observe and assist in a Teen Yoga class. Qualifies for 30 CEU's (Continuing Education Units).
See Teen Teacher Training Intensive Course Schedule
Find a Teen Yoga Teacher
What Trainees have said...
"I really loved this course! It covered so much more than I had expected and made me realize that you can use a yoga class to teach a lot more than just asanas."I loved how well this course was structured and how thorough the manual is. This course exceeded my expectations and I feel very grateful for the time that Shari spent sharing her knowledge and joy for teaching teens.""I love the various types of meditations and feel much more comfortable teaching it to teens now. All of the material was very age-appropriate."I cannot express enough how thorough this training was. I came into this thinking that reaching out to teenagers to teach them yoga would be the scariest thing ever, and now I feel like I have the tools and resources to be successful at it! Thank you!"
"Your Teen Yoga Teacher Training was the highlight of my year!"
"This is a wonderful training - so fun yet chock full of information. Anyone who works with teens in any capacity, would like to serve this population, or even just does yoga and has a teen at home, might enjoy. The Karma Kids program itself is transforming many adolescents who really do need these practices and benefit SO much from them as I can attest to from my work with the Lineage Project, in juvenile detention centers, and from seeing the teens at IYI, a few of them whom took my lunch class recently. They were so into it!"
"I can't express in words how this teacher training weekend has changed my life in such a positive way."
"It was wonderfully well organized, thoughtful, clear, interesting, useful and efficient. It was full of heart, soul, knowledge and practical instruction. Your joy of sharing these skills was contagious. I'm so impressed."
"Your training was wonderful! As a classroom teacher, I'm often (and for no good reason) hyper-critical about instructional presentations and such. To me, there was not one area of the course that wasn't thoughtful, clear, useful, or enlightening. I was suprised by how deeply the weekend resonated within me and how quickly I have fallen for the idea and potential of teaching teens and how fully I am humbled by both of your presense and experience."
"I felt compelled to write a testimonial for the Teen Teacher Training taught by Shari. I did my research prior to taking the 30 hour course, but even with past trainees recommendations and all of the research I did, I was still nervous about whether I would get all I needed to begin teaching teens. I was blown away by Shari's knowledge, enthusiasm and love for teaching teens. Her experience and her ability to teach yoga on the mat that translates so clearly to a teen's off the mat life reaffirmed that yoga for teens is such a fantastic way for a teen to discover who they are and how they relate to our world. I can't say enough about this training and about Shari. Her energy is contagious and the 30 hours flew by - I was sad when it was over!"
Karma Kids Yoga works directly with Reach Grenada to provide quality training for teachers, caregivers, social workers, and other caring adults to be able to provide yoga to the children in Grenada. We provide the yoga component to the multi-dimensional, evidence-based approach so that the children of Grenada have every opportunity to be healthy in mind, soul and body.
Reach Grenada Graduates - December 2011
Registration Policy: Payment in full is required to reserve your space in this course, which is non-refundable. There is also a $40 processing fee to change the date of your course to a future date. If you change the date of the course you planned to attend within 2 weeks or less of the course, there will be a $100 fee. The original payment will be applied to a future course or workshop only.
The hours for this course can be applied to Yoga Alliance 95 hour CYTC through Children's Yoga Teacher Training Collaborative.